Saddle up your camels, ladies, we're off to battle! A free-wheeling commentary of a lady who believes that women belong in combat, certainly not in the military, but in the home -- in the spiritual battle for their families. Join us on the frontlines as we cover homeschooling, the culture wars, raising sons, virtuous manhood and womanhood, helping our husbands, femininity, serving Christ the King, and all other fronts in the holy war we face. Up camels!

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Turbo? Tax

An hour of my day:

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
All agents are currently busy.
Please stand by.
An agent will be with you in a moment. Thank you for your patience.
You have been connected to 320 Paul .
320 Paul : Hi ! How may I help you?
Customer: I filed my NC return electronically. After it was accepted, I went through the screens to complete the filing. I was told that I needed to file some additional paperwork and to follow the printed instructions, when I printed the instructions said nothing about additional paperwork, but printed a D-400Lines 37 and 45 (Other Additions and Other Deductions Statement)) that was blank except for our names and SSN. What do I do?
320 Paul : What Turbo Tax product were you using? Basic Premier or deluxe?
Customer: Deluxe
320 Paul : Is it a D-400 worksheet?
320 Paul : 400-D?
Customer: No, it's a form labeled "Form D-400, Lines 37 and 45" in the upper left hand corner.
320 Paul : Have you done your updates?
Customer: Yes, we were totally updated when we did this.
320 Paul : Is that a state tax form?
Customer: Like I said in the first paragraph, it's a North Carolina "Form D-400, Lines 37 and 45 Other Additions and Other Deductions Statement" We've used TurboTax for 9 years and I've never seen an ambiguous instruction like this.
320 Paul : Checking on this issue
320 Paul : I am assuming they are wanting you to file this form along with your return
Customer: It's a blank form, the instruction page did not say to file it, or where to file it. If I am supposed to send this in, where? I filed electronically.
The agent is sending you to http://www.dor.state.nc.us/downloads/D401.pdf.
Currently experiencing network delays, one moment please....
320 Paul : Have you checked the north Carolina website in regards to this form?
Network connection re-established.
Currently experiencing network delays, one moment please....
Currently experiencing network delays, one moment please....
320 Paul : The form is totally blank or the information is not filled out on it
Network connection re-established.
Currently experiencing network delays, one moment please....
320 Paul : ? Network connection re-established.
Customer: The form is not filled out except for our names and SSNs Customer: The website is *slowly* downloading. I'll look. I'm frustrated, though. This is one of the reasons we use TurboTax -- so I don't have to play tax accountant :-)
320 Paul : Is that the only writing on the form ((Blank Page)) or are there lines and entry spots?
Customer: The lines and entry spots are there with no entries in them.
320 Paul : Did you run an error check befor you filed?
Customer: Error Check said no errors
Customer: I've checked through the website you sent and see nothing about this form.
Customer: The lines 37 and 45 instructions do not seem to apply to us.
320 Paul : I was just informed that if you ran an error check and recieved no errors then you are fine
320 Paul : That form was just for your own records
Customer: Does that mean that I file the blank form (and if so, where?) or that I do not file it?
320 Paul : Do not file it. It has already been filed when you efiled.
Customer: So, if I am understanding you correctly, the form is for our own records, and TurboTax was in error when it said we needed to file additional paperwork?
320 Paul : I'm sorry I thought you said earlier that there were no instructions to file additional paperwork 3
20 Paul : I am going to contact another agent in regards to this issue
Customer: Please read the first paragraph. The screen said we needed to file additional paperwork and to follow the instructions on the printed filing instructions. The printed instructions said nothing at all about filing another form. However this D-400, lines 37 and 45 form printed with no entries but our names and SSN.
320 Paul : did you electronically file and select Sign by paper?
Customer: No, we electronically filed with self-select pins
320 Paul : Have your returns been accepted
320 Paul : The status of your returns?
Customer: Yes, both federal and state returns have been accepted and we have DCNs
320 Paul : We are checking into the situation now
320 Paul : Do you have values on line 37 or 45
Customer: Checking, one minute
320 Paul : Sorry can you go into your return under state Taxes
Customer: No, those lines are blank on Form D-400
Customer: I checked the return and there are no entries on those lines or in the worksheet (QuickZoom) for those lines
320 Paul : Perfect
Customer: And....
320 Paul : Ther is probebly nothing else to do, just let me finish my check
Customer: Paul, I'm going to have to leave in the next few minutes, my children have chorus practice. Do you have some direction for me?
320 Paul : You should be OK If the IRS needs that form they will ask for it
320 Paul : Also were you printing to file or for your records?
Customer: Well, it's the North Carolina Dept of Revenue I'm worried about - it's their form.
Customer: I was printing the North Carolina Electronic Filing Instructions
320 Paul has left the session.
Your agent is experiencing technical difficulties.
Please stand by while we re-establish contact or find a new agent...
Please wait while we find an agent from the Triage Chat department to assist you.
You have been connected to 320 Gerald .
320 Gerald : Hello , how may I help you today?
Customer: Arrrggghhhh. Do you have access to the incredibly long discussion we have been having?
320 Gerald : one minute
320 Gerald : I have talked to paul and he said there is nothing to worry about
Customer: Does that mean I do not need to file this Form D-400, Lines 37 and 45 that printed?
320 Gerald : where you printing for your files or to file with
Customer: If you have access to the chat, I said that I was printing the North Carolina Electronic Filing Instructions
320 Gerald : is there values on those lines
Customer: As I have said several times, there are no values on those lines or on the QuickZoom worksheets for those lines.
320 Gerald : then you do not have to worrie about that then
320 Gerald : if there is no vaule then you do not have to worry about it
Customer: I do not file this blank form - is that correct?
320 Gerald : no, becasue there is not values
Customer: Thank you -- Bye!
320 Gerald : If you want to let our supervisor know what a good job we are doing, you can e-mail your message to taxkudos@intuit.com and we will make sure that they are informed. Thank you for taking the time to send us your compliments!
320 Gerald : I would appreciate if you could take a short survey on my personal performance, where I am rated on a scale of 1 to 7, 7 being the best. You will find this survey as soon as you close the chat window. Thank you for your feedback and for contacting TurboTax Support. Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

This is a direct copy of their customer service chat believe it or not. It's a good thing I've used TurboTax for 9 years without problems or this would have cured me. BTW, the survey never appeared on the screen. Perhaps they really didn't want to hear what I thought...

No comments: