Saddle up your camels, ladies, we're off to battle! A free-wheeling commentary of a lady who believes that women belong in combat, certainly not in the military, but in the home -- in the spiritual battle for their families. Join us on the frontlines as we cover homeschooling, the culture wars, raising sons, virtuous manhood and womanhood, helping our husbands, femininity, serving Christ the King, and all other fronts in the holy war we face. Up camels!

Monday, February 14, 2005

Happy Valentine's Day

If ever two were one, then surely we.
If ever man were lov'd by wife, then thee.
If ever wife was happy in a man,
Compare with me, ye women, if you can.
I prize thy love more than whole Mines of gold
Or all the riches that the East doth hold.
My love is such that Rivers cannot quench,
Nor ought but love from thee give recompetence.
Thy love is such I can no way repay.
The heavens reward thee manifold, I pray.
Then while we live, in love let's so persever
That when we live no more, we may live ever.
Anne Bradstreet

This is the poem I placed on the front of this year's Valentine's Day card to my dearest earthly friend, my husband. Anne Bradstreet, known as the Puritan poet, was a mother of eight, who lived from 1612 to 1672 in the Puritan Massachusetts Bay Colony. This exactly captures how I feel about the husband that I give submission to, just as Anne Bradstreet did her husband. So much for repressed, tyrannized Puritan women :-)

No comments: