Saddle up your camels, ladies, we're off to battle! A free-wheeling commentary of a lady who believes that women belong in combat, certainly not in the military, but in the home -- in the spiritual battle for their families. Join us on the frontlines as we cover homeschooling, the culture wars, raising sons, virtuous manhood and womanhood, helping our husbands, femininity, serving Christ the King, and all other fronts in the holy war we face. Up camels!

Friday, July 27, 2007

Letting Boys Be Boys

My dear friend, Wendy Orth, posted this message on MOMYS and I was so encouraged by it that I asked her if I could share it with you:

One of the best "classes" we've given our boys is the Frontier Skills DVD series Little Bear Wheeler has on things like skinning wild game, making a wilderness survival pack, throwing knives and tomahawks and trick roping. I'll confess to some trepidation on the knife throwing... ! But my boys were 13, 15 and 17 when we gave it to them (it's pricey) and they have loved it and so far haven't skewered anyone. We here at our home believe in letting boys be boys and doing boy stuff! Our living room walls are decorated with bows and arrows, swords of all kinds, and reproduction antique pistols! My boys hike and climb and mountain bike. They weld, and construct and love to use an ax, hatchet and (oh, their favorite!!) a chain saw. They can drive tractors and my 16 yo is well sought after to operate medium heavy equipment to do landscaping work. They all can repair most anything and build most anything. Yes, I've had anxious moments as I've come across them scaling the beams in our 25 foot high upper barn! But I just pray and let them go... they will be awesome men some day!!! (Okay, technically Daniel is an adult now, but we're working on that.... !)

1 comment:

Family W said...

I LOVE Little Bear Wheeler's website and frequent it often. I am in total agreement of letting boys be boys........its how they learn to be men. My homeschooling mentor told me once that when you look at them rolling around on the floor, or notice how 'destructive' they tend to be, just remember God made them to be warriors and kings. It's just the way they were created! This is another reason why I think they should be given as much time out of doors as we can possibly allow them. Thanks so much for sharing this. God bless! ---Lynn